Thursday 25 July 2013

"Jelly Challenge"

This week I tried my luck in making jelly based desserts. I couldn't challenge myself to make the more complicated malay kuih as my house is currently under renovation and my kitchen area is a mess!! I can't work in a messy environment, too stressful! 

Anyways, I made these two desserts for "buka puasa" or "iftar" and really enjoyed the jelly texture and because it has been chilled in the refrigerator, the jelly feels so good to bite into after a whole day of fasting.

The first one was "Agar-Agar Koko" or "Cocoa Jelly". Fairly simple recipe and very, very easy and quick to make. I used these measurements:

1 litre of water
1 packet of jelly powder
3 tbl spoon of Milo
2 tbl spoon of imported cocoa powder
2 tbl spoon of condensed milk
1/4 cup of sugar
A pinch of salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips for jelly filling

Mix all the indgredients and bring to a boil. Pour mixture into jelly moulds. I added the chocolate chips into the jelly after putting it into the moulds. That way, when you get a bit of texture when you bite into the jelly. Leave it to cool for a while before transferring the jelly into the refrigerator and let the jelly chill for at least 1/2 hour.

The cocoa jelly all chilled and ready to be eaten

The mixture of coco powder makes the jelly a darker brown

My kids absolutely loves this jelly




The other jelly or agar-agar that I made this week was "Agar-Agar Krim Jagung" or "Creamed Corn Jelly". Also, quite easy to make but takes more time for the jelly to harden. Therefore, it needs to be chilled a bit longer. The recipe is also fairly simple and very easy to make.

500 ml water
500 ml evaporated milk
1 1/2 packet of jelly powder
1 can of creamed sweet corn
1/4 cup sugar (you may add more if you want it sweeter)
1 tsp of vanilla essence
A pinch of salt


Mix all the indgredients and bring to a boil. Make sure the mixture is stirred constantly to prevent the mixture from sticking at the bottom of the pot. Pour mixture into separate jelly moulds or a square tin.  Leave it to cool for a while before transferring the jelly into the refrigerator and let the jelly chill for at least 1 hour.

I love the taste of this jelly

The creaminess of the milk and sweet corn makes the jelly very rich

The corn can be tasted in every bite of the jelly

Agar-agar or jelly is very easy to make and doesn't really need much effort. Am on to my next jelly mission. Only I haven't figured out which jelly I would like to make next or maybe I should start on my kuih melayu challenge again??? Until later....

Elinna


No comments:

Post a Comment