Sunday 8 July 2012

"Mickey's Surprise"

I had a big order last weekend, 7th July 2012. This was for Ridthuan's or fondly known as Riri, 2nd birthday. Juwita, (daughter of Johor MB, Dato' Abdul Ghani Othman) wanted a Mickey and gang theme for the cake. We had discussed about this order about a month prior to Riri's birthday. The theme was finally set 2 weeks before the birthday and Juwita chose 4 of her son's favourite characters.

I had a big task ahead of me as I had to make 4 sugar figurines, namely, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto & Donald. A daunting task ahead and I was so worried I couldn't finish the cake on time. Since I work full time, I had to take leave on Friday to complete the cake in order for the early pick-up on Saturday. It took me 1 1/2 days to complete this cake. The cake was a 2-tiered cake, chocolate with dark chocolate ganache at the bottom tier and French vanilla with vanilla icing and white chocolate ganache at the top tier. I sketched the design of the cake earlier and I wanted to execute the cake exactly like my sketch.

I guess it looked easy enough but actually it was very, very challenging! I wanted my figurines to look the same as in the cartoon. I didn't want my Mickey to look like Mighty Mouse!!! So, I had to make sure the characters look realistic. Since I'm a perfectionist, I took a long time to complete each figure! I am so thankful that it didn't rain at all that 2 days and the sugar could harden easily.

This was my masterpiece and am very, very proud that I managed to complete the cake on time!!

This was what Juwita had to say about my cake, "Not only was it feast for the eyes, it was super yummy too. Thank you so much, everyone's eyes popped when they saw the cake!"... Awwww.... thanks so much Juwita. It was my pleasure :)


No comments:

Post a Comment