Wednesday 12 September 2012

"20th Anniversary Cake"


The 1st week of September was a very, very hectic week for me. I felt like everything was happening at the same time. First, my other half had to leave for Mozambique for 6 whole days. That means, I had to be a single parent for 6 whole days. I know I sound whiny but its really tiring to juggle office work, kids matter, making cakes and running my day-to-day household matters!! Then, to make it worse, I had 3 cake orders that week. I usually only take 1 order per week as am working full time and its not easy to find the time to make intricate cakes but this week was all about family and friends.

The first order for the week came from my hubby's work mates. They wanted to order a cake for their office meeting and also to celebrate a few birthdays. Since Bahrin was in Africa, they contacted me personally and asked if I could bake them a rainbow cake. Truthfully, I told them that my hands are full that week and if they wanted a simple cake, I can bake for them but a rainbow cake is too tedious for me! So, they decided on an orange poppy cake instead (I was so busy I had no time to take photos of the cake!!!).


This is the only photo that I have of the cake. Courtesy of course, from my hubby, Bahrin, who made it back in time to bring the cake for the meeting. I was glad to hear that they all love the cake!!!

On to my second order that week!!! It was my friend, Yan's 20th wedding anniversary. She was hosting a Hari Raya open house and also a house warming on 08th September and wanted to also celebrate her 20th wedding anniversary with her friends. So, she told me she wanted me to make her a 2-tiered cake that looks like a wedding cake but not a wedding cake! Huh?! So, I asked her for specifics like the colour of the flowers, the base of the cake and what she wanted on the cake. 

Yan's favourite colour is orange and she wanted an orange and off-white theme for the cake. As for the cake flavour, she wanted chocolate with chocolate ganache.

The anniversary cake. I managed to make a cake that is 2-tiered but does not really resemble a wedding cake. Yan and her hubby loved it.
The cake up-close. All these sugar flowers were handmade and colour dusted by me. I refuse to buy ready-made flowers and take the easy way out. 


   
Happy 20th Anniversary, Yan & Jeff... May you two have many, many more wonderful and happy years together... Look out for my next post... It will be the third cake I made for this particular week!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment