Thursday 13 September 2012

"Auntie Teh's Ducks"

In my last post, I mentioned that I made 3 cakes last week. The third cake I made last week was for my aunt, Datuk Zainun Aishah or fondly known to us as Auntie Teh. Her daughter-in-law, Rosie wanted to surprise her mom-in-law with a beautiful birthday cake. Auntie Teh was organising a Hari Raya lunch for the whole family at her abode and Rosie wanted to surprise her. And boy, was she so surprised and touched by the gesture!

My Auntie Teh has always been fond of porcelain ducks. She actually has been collecting these ducks for years!! In fact, when her son, my cousin, Shazli got married to Rosie, she had porcelain ducks custom made as the containers for the "bunga telur" or eggs to be given to the guests.

I guess what is more appropriate then making her a cake with ducks on it. Rosie's idea was brilliant!!! I was given a photo on how the ducks should look like. The specific type of ducks that my aunt was so fond of was the one with the dark green head and brownish/grayish body. Not so easy to make I guess but a very interesting cake nevertheless! I so love challenges. I browsed through all the ducks from the web and chose one that was a beauty and fits Rosie's description perfectly.

I started baking the lemon cake first and decided I should start on the ducks as it may take a long time to finish. I was actually so wrong!! The process of making the ducks, surprisingly took less time than I predicted and I thoroughly enjoyed the process of colour dusting the ducks in the varying shades of brown, black, white and gray. I had the beak and eyes hand painted as per the photo. The concept of my cake is basically to have ducks in a pond. I had the side of the cake covered in tall grass and  also added a few bullrushes plant at the back of the cake. I made the pond water a bit greenish and I made it out of piping jelly so that it will look a bit like water.

The whole view of the cake. I call this cake, "Ducks in a Pond"

Side view of the two ducks and closer look at the bullrushes and lotus plants

The two ducks up close. The clarity of the photo is not so good!

According to my mom, as of yesterday, my aunt still has not cut the cake yet. She feels that the cake is too beautiful too be cut. I sure hope the cake inside is still edible when she finally cuts the cake!!! Anyway, Happy Belated Birthday, Auntie Teh... May your life be blessed always and may you have great many years filled with good health, happiness and prosperity...


2 comments:

  1. PinkEllies, I'm so proud to see your artistry, skill and dedication in your cake-making efforts. I'm so glad to see how your cakes keep getting better and better with each project your take on. What a joy to see such talent and creativity in a family member. Can't wait to see your next masterpiece! -- A. Lina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Auntie. I really appreciate those words of encouragement. Will do my best and make you proud. With my family behind me all the way, am sure the sky is my limit!!!

    ReplyDelete