Wednesday 30 January 2013

"Dinosaurs"

Eliena wanted a dinosaur themed cake for her son, Zack's 4th birthday celebration. It was quite a challenge for me but hey, I decided, why not. So, I accepted the order and started making my dinosaurs a few days before I had the cake baked. 

This cake theme was a tough one to make. The cake is easy but the sugar dinosaurs, not so! I spent many hours trying to make the dinosaurs stand but didn't succeed. The weather was just not helping and the humidity means my sugar creations won't harden enough to make them firm! I decided to make the dinosaurs sit instead. I tried to replicate the toy dinos that Eliena gave me and I airbrushed them to the closest I could. I used rice cereal treats for the body of the dinosaurs and the rest are all made of gum paste.

The hardest part of the cake was making the dinos. Once I got them done, the rest of the cake was a smooth journey for me. The volcano was also made of cake and I shaped it to look like a volcano with lava spilling out. I'm quite satisfied with how the cake turned out even though I didn't get the dinosaurs to stand but they still looked alright. At least to me.

The whole view of the cake. The volcano was made of cake and gum paste and airbrushed and hand painted with gold dust to look like molten lava

Side view with Zack's name

The purple dinosaur

The yellow green dinosaur

The grey black dinosaur
 Hope you had a great birthday celebration Zack. Thanks for the order, Eliena...


No comments:

Post a Comment