Wednesday 27 March 2013

"Cupcakes, cupcakes and more cupcakes!!!"

I was commissioned by my good friend from Jakarta, Elona, to make 230 individually packed cupcakes as gifts for guests attending her mom-in-law's 80th birthday celebration. At first, when I accepted this order, I thought this would be easy enough. After all, I've made numerous cupcakes with buttercream frosting and it was always relatively easy for me. Boy, was I wrong!! I never expected to spend more time than I actually planned to finish up all 230 cupcakes. Luckily, I had baked more than 230 pcs and bought more than 230 boxes as unexpected things or situation always happen when you're pressured to meet the dateline.

The baking process went quite smoothly despite that I had to run to the store in the middle of baking because my maid forgot to mention that I ran out of baking soda!!! Of all the things!!! That set back my flow of baking for a while. Frosting and making flower patterns as the cupcake deco was easy but if you had to do it all by yourself, it can be very tiring! As I'm such a perfectionist, the process took longer than I expected it to be. Still, I managed to finish icing all the cakes and by the time I started putting all the cupcakes in the individual boxes, it was already pass my 5.00 pm dateline. Since Elona had a wedding to attend that night, I promised her that I would deliver to her the cupcakes. I finally finish at 10.00 pm and had them all delivered to her by 11.00 pm that night. By then, I was so exhausted and my back was about to break in two!!! Moral of the story is I must get myself a more reliable assistant that I could delegate some of the tasks. Being a one woman show is no joke!! 

Am glad to say that I'm very happy with my final product. The cupcakes are what I envisioned them to be and most of all, Elona was very pleased with her order.

The final product of my individually packed cupcakes and ready to be delivered to Elona's

Close-up of the boxes... I chose polka-dot ribbons in 5 colours
The cupcakes had the flower theme decoration and I made the colour combination the same as the 5 colours that I had chosen for the ribbons.

These are the 5 designs I used for the cupcakes. I had to make 46 cupcakes for each design
A close-up of the individually packed cupcakes in 5 different colour ribbons
I am happy and thankful that despite the hiccups I faced in the process of completing this order, I still managed to finish it and am very pleased with the results :)


No comments:

Post a Comment