Thursday 29 November 2012

"Cream Puffs"

I have managed to actually make the cream puffs that I learned from Chef David Lee's class not so long ago. It was quite easy to make actually and I don't know why it took me so long to try out the recipe. I started making the choux (pronounced as shoe) pastry first and the process was relatively very simple. You just needed to add water to the butter with a tinge of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Put these ingredients together in a pot and stir until its comes to a boil and switch off the heat. 

In a separate bowl, you need to mix and sift protein flour with superfine flour and then put them into the pot that contains the butter mix. Switch on the heat and slowly cook the pastry until the dough forms like a round shape and is not sticking to the sides of the pot. Switch off the heat and cool the dough down. When its cool, add 2 eggs to the mix (one at a time) and mix the dough until it forms a nice soft texture. The pastry is now ready to be piped. Simple isn't it? 

While the pastry is baking, I prepared the creme patisserie or pastry cream, a french custard filling and left it to chill before piping it into the cream puffs. Instead of cutting the choux pastry in half, I poked a hole at the bottom (as taught by Chef David Lee) and piped the creme patisserie into the choux pastry.

My choux pastry fresh from the oven

A clearer view
The creme patisserie made from scratch. Fantastic recipe by Chef David Lee
The finished product
I dusted the cream puffs with icing sugar to make them look even more tempting... Hehehe...
My hubby and kids finished them in minutes!! To think of the hours I took to make these... Oh well, at least its a bestseller and I made these lovely pastry again recently, when I had guests for tea. This time I made eclairs with dark chocolate ganache too. Sad to say, I didn't get a chance to take the photos. Was too busy. My guests loved the cream puffs and eclairs. I'm glad that I learned to make the choux pastry the right way.

Till my next baking adventure....

No comments:

Post a Comment