Wednesday 27 February 2013

"What We Love"

I was approached by Marhaini way back in early January. She wanted to celebrate the birthdays of both her son, Mazhar and daughter, Marisa, which falls in the month of February. Mazhar turns 14 and Marisa is sweet 16 this month. Since I couldn't meet the earlier birthday date for Mazhar's birthday, Marhaini decided to combine both her children's birthday into one fab cake.

I suggested to Marhaini an open book cake, where she could have both her kids' loves and hobbies into a page each. That way, even though the cake is shared, each person will get their own special section. Marhaini agreed with the idea and proceeded to give me a list of all her children's favourite things and hobbies. With Mazhar, he is a fan of road cycling and running. Besides that, he also loves to tweet and watch youtube. I decided to make a 2D bicycle and have all the apps icon as part of the deco.

As for sweet Marisa, she loves cats. On top of that, she also loves reading and one of her favorite series is the Twilight series. Marisa also loves to listen to music. I decided to incorporate all that into one page. So, I had my edible image printer do for me the apps icon, the Twilight book covers and also the CD covers for albums from Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and so on. The cake was fairly simple to execute and I totally enjoyed the process.

The whole view of the open book cake
The first section was dedicated for Mazhar, who turned 14 

The bicycle and apps icon

The ever popular apps - youtube, instagram, twitter, facebook and so on...

The 2D bicycle made from black gumpaste and handpainted silver

The second section was for sweet 16 Marisa

The black tabby cat is the focal point of this section

The CD covers and book covers...

The black tabby cat playing with balls of yarn...
Thank you for the order Marhaini. Am so happy to hear that not only was the cake a hit with your kids, it was a hit with the adults as well!! And thank you for the compliment that the chocolate cake as divine!!! I look forward to your future orders...

No comments:

Post a Comment