Monday 24 June 2013

"Super 70s"

I love the theme of this cake! I've always liked the 70s era. I was born in the 70s but never got a chance to experience the flower power age, disco era, bell bottoms, clashing of colours on outfits, great music and so on as I was too small then. However, as I got older, I learned about the 70s era and learned to appreciate the fashion statement, lifestyle and music in that era. Put it this way, how I wished I could have experienced the 70s era because it sounded like so much fun!

So, when I was asked to make this cake for Farah Alhabshi, I accepted the order even though it was a very last minute order. The cake was for the dad, Syed Elias Alhabshi's 70th birthday bash and the theme of the party was "Super 70s". She left the design to me and only gave me a few photos on the things that she would like to have on the cake. The cake was done in 2 tiers and both tiers had a different theme.

I decided to make the bottom tier to represent the flower power of the 70s era and the top tier had the disco theme. I even managed to get the mini disco balls on the cake as an added bonus! I found this really cool polka dots wrapper that I used as the base of the cake. This cake was actually relatively simple to do but since the weather was blistering hot, my sugarpaste kept cracking and it made my work more complicated. I spent more time than I predicted on the cake. It didn't help that I had a terrible migraine attack that day. Fortunately for me, the cake turned out quite nice and I was very happy with it.

This is what Farah had to say, "The cake was excellent btw! A real hit and it taste so good. Thank you so much again". I was very, very happy to get that feedback. Despite the challenges I had to go thru when making the cake, it was well worth it!! Thanks for the order, Farah and thanks Eliena for introducing me to your cousin.

The whole view of the 70s theme cake

The mini disco balls added sparkle to the cake just like a real discotheque

The polka dots base with the flower power bottom tier and disco theme top tier

The back view of the cake also has the disco dancing

I hope I'll get a chance to make another 70s themed cake. It was fun and would have been more enjoyable had the weather been nicer and my migraine non-existant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment