Tuesday 3 September 2013

"Crumble Me Apples"

I had to blog about my apple crumble pie because I tried a new recipe last weekend and the pie crust and crumb topping turned out fantastic. Before I continue, the reason why I made the apple crumble pie was because I had guests over for barbeque on Merdeka Day, which was on Saturday, the 31st August. When I was grocery shopping for the barbeque, I saw these lovely green apples and the first thought that came to my mind was, I have to make an apple pie with these apples. If the apples look so good, so they must taste good too!! 

I was happy as I had my second dessert sorted out especially when I know my cousin, Amy, who loves apple crumble pie and has been wanting me to make one for her for ages already. The other dessert I made  for the barbeque was chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. The frosting is topped with Hershey's chocolate syrup and roasted almond and walnuts. 

Back to my apple crumble pie, the pie crust was a sweet shortcrust pastry. The only difference was that I added some ground almonds to the basic pastry recipe. The texture of the crust was good and not grainy. For the filling, I sliced 8 green apples and cooked these sliced apples in butter, sugar, cinnamon powder and a pinch of nutmeg. I only simmered these apples on the stove for a short time as I don't want the apples too soft. After cooling the apples and I've filled them in the base crust (I had the base blind baked in the oven for 20 mins), I proceeded to make the crumble for the top. The crumble is made of flour, icing sugar, a pinch of salt  and yes I added a bit more ground almonds and cold butter. Its very easy to make. I mixed all the dry ingredients together and slowly added the cold butter until it became the crumble texture that I wanted. Then, I baked the pie for another 30 to 40 minutes. 

My apple crumble pie
I served the pie with vanilla ice-cream and of course Amy loved it. She even thanked me for making her the pie :) BTW, she took what little left of the pie home and I was very happy, I made someone happy :)

The apple pie eaten with vanilla ice-cream. This was Amy's plate :)
The other dessert was my sinful chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting

Simply sinful and calories overload but taste oh so good!!
Thanks to all my wonderful cousins for coming over and I had such a wonderful time! We should have these meets once a month. Its really fun catching up :)

My lovely cuzzies : From left - Liza, Azura, Hazrene, Me, Evelyne (SIL),Ezel and Amy
Until the next meet gals :) Love you lots, lots and lots...

xoxoxo
Elin

No comments:

Post a Comment