Monday 30 September 2013

"Harry Potter"

One of my clients, Eliena, introduced her friend, Beverly to me as she was looking for someone to make a cake for her son's 11th birthday celebration. After discussing with Beverly on the cake theme, her son, Max decided on a Harry Potter theme. She also wanted a lemon flavoured cake. I topped off the cake with vanilla frosting. Her budget was not that much but since she was trying out my cakes for the first time, I decided to accept the order based on her budget as an introductiory price.
 
Instead of giving her the 8' diameter cake I agreed, I actually made her a 9' diameter cake as she was worried the cake won't be enough to feed 20 or so people attending Max's birthday party. Max only wanted 4 things on the cake: the scarf, the wand, the broom and the train station no sign. I thought the cake would be relatively easy to make as there are not that many sugar modelling involved. I was so wrong! I just couldn't get the modelling right the first time. I had to spend more time than I had anticipated on this cake. Max wanted Harry Potter's broom on the cake, which I didn't really agree as the broom is not in proportion to the other things on the cake. But I still made one. Bigger than the one I agreed as I just felt that it was wrong to make such a small broom.
 
All in, this cake turned out to be a difficult cake due to also the humidity in KL. The sugar was starting to go soft and I worried that it wouldn't last before the party. I had to actually make last minute adjustments on the cake prior to cake collection as the train station sign was starting to fall off the cake. In the end, I used up more fondant than I intially anticipated. I am glad though that the cake turned out alright and Beverly was happy with it.
 
The whole view of the cake from the front

The train station no signage

The wand and scarf

My version of the Harry Potter broom! LOL!
I actually used a pasta maker to make the long strands in the broom to get the effect. I also airbrushed the broom and wand to get the colours to stand out and make them look realistic.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment