Wednesday 5 December 2012

"Hantaran Cake for Ezran"

Last Saturday, on December 01st, my cousin Ezran got engaged to his long time girlfriend... Ooops, sorry I totally forgot her name!! But anyways, my mom wanted to give my aunt a hantaran cake for the engagement. So, I was asked to make the cake way back in October. After consulting with my Auntie Aki, she told me that I had to have 3 important elements on the cake - 1) 5 types of flowers, any type but must consist of hydrangeas and calla lilies, and the other 3 is up to me (I almost cried when I heard this), 2) the flowers had to be in pastel rainbow colours and 3) the cake base has to be cream in colour. She actually had a 4th request, which my mom totally forgot to mention to me, was the cake had to be a Victorian sponge cake (vanilla cake with strawberry jam in the middle). Instead I made for her a french vanilla cake with vanilla frosting since no one told me what flavour I had to make!!

It took me 4 days to finish this cake as I had to work during the day and only managed to start making the sugar flowers at night. On top of that, the raining went on and on, everyday, so my sugar flowers didn't get to dry and harden properly. The humidity also didn't help my situation but somehow or rather, I manged to finish all 5 types of flowers. Quality wise, not so good but with the constraints I faced, I thought it came out pretty alright. I started making the hydrangeas and roses on the 1st day. The carnations on the 2nd day, peony and calla lillies on 3rd day and assembling all these components on the 4th day.

This was how my cake turned out :)

The overall view of my cake. I call this cake "Rainbow of Flowers", very apt considering the colours

The focal point of my cake is my pink peony... I loved how this flower turned out
Side view of my cake with the orange roses and yellow carnations
My Auntie Aki was very happy when she saw this cake and I hope Ezran's fiance loved the cake. Congratulations again to my cousin, Ezran....

No comments:

Post a Comment