Tuesday 18 December 2012

"Hazry's Hantaran Cake"

I named this cake "Red & Gold" because these are the two colours that my Auntie Yan insisted I must have on the hantaran cake for her eldest son, Hazry. Earlier in the year, I had made for Hazry cupcakes decorated with poppies for his engagement ceremony - check out my blog entry in April 2012. For his "akad nikah" ceremony, I was given the task to copy the fabric flowers used in the hantaran for the flowers on the cake.

Actually, I thought that it was a daunting task as the flowers must be gold in colour. With sugar flowers, in order to achieve the gold shade, you need to either hand paint or airbrush the flowers. At this point, I was quite worried as I've never done gold flowers before. My mom always tell me that I worry for nothing and that at the end of the day, I will surely achieve what I set out to do. So, determined, I started making the flowers as early as 4 days before the cake is due.

The first day, I just shaped the flowers and let it dry overnight. The second day, I started hand painting the gold and ruby red flowers. I then added edible shimmer dust to make it look even more shiny, just like the fabric flower samples I was given. I left the flowers to dry overnight. The third day, I assembled the flowers before I arranged them on the cake. At this point, I had already covered the vanilla cake with chilli red fondant (as requested by my aunt) and also had the sides decorated with 2D flowers and leaves. I then airbrushed the cake in red sheen so that it will look very "wedding like". Overall, I actually like this hantaran cake. I thought it was one of my best efforts thus far.

The overall hantaran cake in all its red and gold glory

The gold and ruby red flowers all arranged on the cake
Another angle of the cake. This time the sides can be seen clearly
I hope you liked the cake I made, Auntie Yan. Congratulations again to you and Uncle Hazer on the marriage of your eldest boy, Hazry... Love you both...

xoxoxo
Elin

3 comments:

  1. You are a star. Not only do you make cakes so superlatively well, you also write about the process (and your passion) very very skillfully! Bravo!!! -- A. Lina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I try my best even though at times the task is not easy and the journey is very challenging. Its my determination that keeps me going, Auntie! I look forward to seeing you soon. - Elin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elin, I absolutely love it. we love it. much thanks couz... :-)

    ReplyDelete