Friday 21 December 2012

"Never A Dull Moment"

Its so nice to make anniversary cakes especially wedding anniversaries! I was commissioned by Eliena Gaman, to make for her parents their 40th Anniversary cake. Eliena is my cousin-in-law, Rosie bestie. Rosie was the want who recommended me to her. 

Eliena had organised for her parents a surprise party on 15th December 2012 and wanted to celebrate the occasion with a cake. The theme of the party was Rod Stewart as her parents are ardent fans of Rod Stewart. Initially, she wanted a very detailed cake but since her order was somewhat last minute and I had two other cakes also due for that weekend, I agreed to make the cake but a simpler version.

Since I couldn't make sugar modelling that weekend (not enough time!!!), I decided to have her parent's marriage journey documented on a film strip and this journey will also coincide with Rod Stewart's singing career. Eliena had sent me her parents photos and also a few of the earlier Rod Stewart's album covers. I had these photos organised in chronological order and had them printed into edible film strips. The cake had a theme colour of ruby red. I didn't know that the 40th year anniversary is actually reflected as the ruby red colour. The cake requested was lemon and I had lemon buttercream filling for the cake.

Surprisingly, the cake was quite simple to make, only the weather was so humid that I had problem covering the cake with fondant. Eliena was very happy to see the cake and told me that the guests loved the taste of the cake.

The front view of the cake

Eliena's parents - still looking very much in love even after 40 years!!

The film strip with their earlier photos and Rod Stewart's album covers

The back view of the cake

A close-up of the film strip
I hope I will get to celebrate my 40th wedding anniversary in style like this too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment