Thursday 10 May 2012

"Engagement Cake for Haizura"

I was actually supposed to be free this 3rd week of April weekend. My husband and I decided to take our kids for my much needed break. We decided to fly to Langkawi for a short and sweet trip. So, I had tickets and hotel booked. Then, came a cry for help from a friend's friend, who is getting engaged the same weekend that I was taking my break. She totally forgot to e-mail me much earlier to order the cake and she desperately needed someone to make her engagement cake.  Haizura had before this tried my cake at her friend's son's birthday party and loved the flavours.

I felt bad rejecting her order at first. After having second thoughts, I decided that I will find the time and agreed to make the cake for her. I still had a few days before I leave for Langkawi plus her function falls on the day after I return from my trip. So, I decided on an orchid theme. The orchid I chose was Cattleya and I made the orchids before I left for my trip. Since the weather was rainy every day, I had to be optimistic that my orchids would be dried and harden when I came back from my trip. It was quite a risk as I wouldn't have the time to make another set of orchids if anything happened when I came back.

Boy, was I relieved when I got home, my petals were still intact, despite the rainy season. I worked on the cake the whole of that Saturday night. I finally finished at 4.30 am and the cake was collected at 8.30 am on Sunday!!! Am glad the cake turned out great and Haizura loved it!!!

 

This was the engagement cake ordered by Haizura, who got engaged on Sunday, 22nd April 2012. The cake is citrus flavoured (lemon & orange) with vanilla buttercream. The theme colour is white and gold but I made the cake in yellow and white. The orchids are also white with a tinge of yellow. Congratulations, Haizura!    

No comments:

Post a Comment