Sunday 10 June 2012

"Hectic Saturday"

It was the last weekend of May. I had received two last minute orders for cakes, both due on the Saturday of 26th May 2012. My first thought was should I accept these orders. I was supposed to take a break and wanted to catch up on my sleep!!!  In the end, I relented and still took the orders as one of them was my daughter's classmate and the other was introduced by my bestie, Azlina. Both cakes had different concept but the only similar fact was both of them wanted chocolate cake.

My first cake had The Avengers theme, hence I named the cake "Super Heroes" and Shireen wanted me to make a representation of the superheroes on the cake. She wanted either just the weapon they used or something that is connected to the heroes. Thank God for that!!! I was already worried that I had to model all the heroes in sugarpaste. I didn't have time as it was a short notice order and plus I had another cake to make. I decorated the cake the best I could with Thor's weapon, Hulk's fist, Iron Man's mask and Captain America's shield. I thought the cake looked quite good actually despite the time constraint I had. Shireen also provided me with the cupcake toppers and casing. She wanted the cupcakes to be vanilla with yellow frosting. The cuppies looked really good with the toppers. All in, the cake was a success and Aazim was a happy boy...


My second cake was an army and paintball themed cake. Fatima wanted a simple cake for both her children, Zara, who turned 13 and Zarief, who turned 10. The birthday party was done in a paintball venue and the kids will be decked out in army camouflage outfits. So, my cake fitted perfectly with the birthday theme. I made the cake base in army camouflage fondant and decorated the whole cake in splashes of paint colours. The army camouflage was quite fun to do as it requires a mix of 5 colours to make the fondant look like a camouflage. I had the children's name in 3D as part of the deco.

According to Fatima, her kids loved the cake so much that they're already planning their birthday cake for next year. As for me, it's always my greatest pleasure to make cakes for appreciative clients... They make my day and am just so thankful that I meet really nice people, who appreciates the creativity I put in my cakes. This cake was actually one of a kind. I've never made such an art deco cake before. I've enjoyed the process of making this cake despite my time contraint and I hope I'll have the chance to make more in the future.

Thanks Azlina for introducing me to your friend, Fatima. I'll make sure I make a beautiful cake for Adam's birthday this June...

   
The cake was so colourful and I just love to play with colours!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment