Wednesday 6 June 2012

"In Love with Macarons"

Two weekends ago, I joined a class to learn how to make macarons. At first, I was quite reluctant to go but because I had committed myself to joining the class, I attended it. Boy, was I glad I did!!! I never knew how making macarons could actually test your creativity skills and play with your taste palette. The class was taught by a Le Cordon Bleu graduate, Chef David Lee. Not only was he an eye candy (wink), he is a very talented pastry chef. I fell in love with macarons while learning how to make them from him.

The most important fact that I learned from this process, is that you have to have lots of patience and there are no shortcuts in making macarons. We made three flavours, i.e. Vanilla with Chocolate Ganache, Raspberry and Passion Fruit macarons. My favourite was the vanilla with the chocolate ganache macarons. I am now so excited to start making them myself. But I still haven't bought the essential stuff yet, namely a thermometer and a food processor!! Essential gadgets that is very important, especially the thermometer as I need to measure the sugar temperature if am making macarons the Italian method!!!

I have already planned a few flavours in my head and I can't wait actually to try but first, I need to get the gadgets, not to mention the mats for the macaron templates and so on... Sigh! Will definitely post updates when and if I do get the chance to actually make them!!!

Some photos from the class, which I managed to capture...

The raspberry macaron shells being piped carefully by Chef David Lee
The passion fruit macaron shells being dusted with cocoa powder before leaving it out to dry
The raspberry and vanilla w/chocolate macarons ready to be refrigerated. Absolutely delicious!!!

The macaron display. Love the colours. So gorgeous...


Me and Chef David Lee of Le Cordon Bleu


Now, its my turn to make some macaron... Hopefully it will turn out just as good as Chef David's...

No comments:

Post a Comment