Thursday 28 June 2012

"Bollywood"

My Auntie Wah, my mom's eldest sister, is the greatest fan of anything Bollywood. This year, my mom and her sisters wanted to do something special to celebrate Auntie Wah's birthday. This is where I come in. My Auntie Teh aka Datuk Zainun Aishah, wanted to surprise Auntie Wah with a Bollywood themed cake. She told me that Auntie Wah is absolutely nuts about Hithrik Roshan and I must have his images on my cake. Other than that, I was also informed that my Auntie Wah loves the Bollywood movies and songs including the wardrobe the Bollywood actresses have on. At that point, she said, "I leave it to your creativity, Elin. Surprise us." 

With that in mind, I pondered on how my cake design would be. First thing that came to mind was a film reel. I wanted to put all these Bollywood images on a film strip and that way my Auntie Wah could see all the actors, actresses and movies produced in Bollywood. I set about choosing all the right images. That was the fun part and of course, I had Hithrik Roshan's images the most. I also added an image of Arjun Rampal, as he is my favourite actor!!! Having that done, I sent all the images to get them printed like a film strip on edible paper. It was a fun cake to make. I always enjoy making cakes that are out of the norm. For the cake base, I did a red saree with antique gold embellishments.

Making the saree was quite tricky as I used royal icing to draw the patterns first, then painted the patterns gold. Royal icing is always tricky and need loads of patience, which I didn't have much that day. That process took the better part of my time. All the hardwork was worth it though as my Auntie Teh and Auntie Wah were very happy with the cake. Especially Auntie Wah!!! She didn't want to cut the cake. She managed to keep the cake for another 2 days before she finally ate the cake...

My Bollywood cake for Auntie Wah

Happy Birthday, Auntie Wah! May your years ahead be blessed and filled with all good things always...

xoxo
Elin

No comments:

Post a Comment